Conservation Methods for Terrestrial Orchids
Awaiting stock delivery
Orchids are unmatched in their floristic diversity, wide range of growth habitats, and, most importantly, their unique and highly adapted biology and ecology. With terrestrial orchids now among the worlds most threatened plants, the need for conservation is paramount. Conservation Methods for Terrestrial Orchids equips orchid biologists, botanists, conservationists, students, and hobbyists with the necessary methodologies to facilitate the conservation of this endangered group of orchids.
This first ever comprehensive volume on terrestrial orchids includes background information, techniques, procedures, and relevant case studies on topics such as monitoring, approaches used for mycorrhizal isolation and culture, seed sowing techniques, soil baiting, symbiotic culture of terrestrial species, translocation of propagated plants, pollination, genetic approaches for orchid biology and conservation, innovations in alginate encapsulation of seed and mycorrhizal fungus, and more. The focus of this volume is on terrestrial orchids as these species face the greatest conservation threats, however, the techniques described in this book can also be applied equally to epiphytic (tree) orchids.
- Clearly and concisely explains the procedures necessary for terrestrial orchid conservation and restoration
- Offers methods and techniques complete in their detail, utilization of modern technology, simplicity, and ease of application across species from different parts of the world
- Features beautiful color illustrations and photographs outlining procedures and concepts
- Provides stand-alone guidance in each chapter and collectively enables practitioners to undertake what were previously considered complex scientific procedures
- Includes relevant case studies to illustrate key principles and success stories in orchid conservation, written by world leaders in orchid conservation practice and science
- Relates many of the techniques and procedures to epiphytic orchids to increase the appeal of the book to all orchid conservationists
- New Title
- Condition: New
- Awaiting stock delivery
|125 colour photos and colour illustrations|